Tuesday, January 26, 2010

MY JOURNEY TO MISS AMERICA 2010!

I have LOTS of time on this flight to Las Vegas from New York-JFK, and although a nap is in the future right now I’m too excited! I am on quite possibly the greatest flight of my life on a new airline, Virgin America. I’m resisting connecting to their Wifi…yup, Wifi 35,000 feet up. Of course it’s $12.95, so I’ll just save that for later when I connect at Planet Hollywood. However, my battery power-less computer is happily plugged in to an outlet J and I am watching Pleasantville on FX, which is channel 23 on their live TV J

Until about a month ago, I was very back and forth about going to Miss America this year. I truly wanted to since I didn’t go last year (when Miss DE Galen Giaccone made the top 15!! Love her!). I kept up with my friend Claire Buffie’s blog and thought, wow, what a great idea, I should do that one year! So THIS WEEK I’m going to give it a shot!

Financially things are a little tight right now, but sometimes when opportunities present themselves you have to seize the day. I was fortunate enough to be able to go thanks to a wonderful opportunity came along, and I plan to make the most of my experience. I am staying at Planet Hollywood, which will make things extremely convenient and cut down on travel time everywhere! Between my room, the trade show, and the pageant, I probably won’t have as much time to shop around Vegas this trip, but I am looking forward to all of the wonderful things I have planned.

I will be joined by some of my closest friends…not just pageant friends, but real friends…while in Las Vegas and I can’t wait to reconnect with them upon arrival and spend some fabulous time (not to mention take even more fabulous pictures) with all of them. One of my local titleholders this year, Miss Rehoboth Beach 2010 Marcie Smith, will be out there as well as Misses DE 2007 and 2008, Brittany Dempsey and Galen. There are lots of other funs Delawareans headed out as well as MANY of my favorite Jersey girls! I’ve been able to become close with many a New Jersey pageanter as I judge, host, sing, etc. Ashleigh Udalovas, first runner up to Miss New Jersey Ashley Shaffer, was able to book a last minute trip and she also arrives today (Tuesday). Can’t wait to spend time with her. Also, my dearest NJOT Brenna and her mom Kelley will be there and while Brenna’s off doing OT things Kelley will be my date for much of the week! They have become wonderful and generous friends, both to me and my local organization as well as the entire Miss Delaware family.

I’m also looking forward to ‘meeting’ many of my Facebook pageant friends. We keep in touch all year long, but I didn’t make it out to Las Vegas last January so I can’t wait to enjoy their company as well. Originally I was going to host a pageant friendship/unity kind of dinner on Friday night, but then Trish, my boss and owner of The Red Carpet, decided to get us a VIP table at the Evening of Dreams Gala (YAY!) so I am going to have it on Thursday instead. I visited Las Vegas in 2007 with some friends from high school and they introduced me to the restaurant Rum Jungle at Mandalay Bay. It quickly became my favorite, pretty much anywhere, and on Thursday I will be welcoming about 30 friends from a multitude of states to spend time together and celebrate the spirit of the Miss America pageant.

Well kids I guess that’s about it for now…can’t wait to touch down in a few hours and begin this wonderful journey! Hope to see you at the prelims each night, and come visit me at the trade show every day as well!

All the best always,

Chris
Mr. Delaware 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment